Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Caregivers have a great gift to share with each other — their stories


A few weeks ago I attended a local support group meeting. Later I was thinking about the number of support group meeting I had attended over the years since my mother passed away and the number of people I had met. Some had only recently found themselves in a caregiving situation while others had been in that role for some years. I realized that in almost all these meeting there were only a handful of people who had been through a caregiving role and the eventual loss of their loved one.
I started thinking about the possible reasons for this departure from the support group community. I assume in many cases at one time former members of the support group shared feeling of grief and anger. While it is totally understandable there is the factor of distress and grief after the death of their loved one and having to find a way to move on (everything has a time and a place). I began to also think about and recognize the gift experienced participants have to offer to support groups even after the death of their loved one.

I then recalled one time we had a caregiver and wife in one support group who would relate the difficulties she faced over the years of caregiving for her husband to the group each meeting. In mid to late stages her husband would frequently become angry and occasionally violent. How some people had suggested a range of options or that she seek professional care for him, and then there were even those outside of the situation itself who had suggested that after almost 48 years together she divorce him. All along she showed strength of character and inspiration to others in the group despite the grief and anger. She spoke of the lingering disbelief and years of loneliness that dwells with many in support group families.
She taught others that the most difficult times eventually pass and that patience, love and peaceful days can find their return. She taught about stretching beyond the grief and anger by reaching out to those who share a common path, how difficult it can be for caregivers to feel that they have the energy to open up to others. She may have felt that same reluctance in the early years. And yet, she's an example that on the other side of isolation sits connectedness, offering a way to greater resilience and ease. And perhaps what I love the most, she is an example of living through life's heartache with dignity and grace.

After the passing of her husband just one month shy of their 55th wedding anniversary she continued to attend the support meeting before announcing to the group that after many years of attending the support group, she felt she didn't have much to offer anymore. She said perhaps she should move on.
Form the support group perspective her gift was her willingness to be vulnerable and to share her story, her beautifully imperfect life — a life that offered lessons in resilience, dignity and hope. And when she shared with others (and us) in her support group, the notion that we were disconnected dissolves. Perhaps this was the gift she received in return.

Without a way to share stories and struggles a caregiver experiences, we are all left feeling lonely, indifferent and out of touch with our life's meaning and purpose. We can end up feeling unworthy, unloved and even sick. Sharing and telling our stories with others who will listen and who really care may be the most powerful medicine on earth.
I encourage you all to find ways to connect and share your story — this will be a lasting gift to you. Listen with empathy to others who share their story — this is the gift you give to one another.

Know that “You Are Not Alone”.
In other  words, "it will be all right."

3 comments:

  1. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to go to the internet and search for cancer cure so that was how I find a ladycalled peter Lizzy she was testifies to the world about the goodness of a herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kind of disease and the herbal man email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_sakura for my younger sister help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whats app him +2348110114739  you can follow him up on Instagram @herbalist_sakura for the cure, he will help you out with the problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me davidclara223@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a very good blog and true wording for the caregivers . Caregiver is a very tough job, need proper training to heal someone.

    ReplyDelete